IVY - The World's First Social University
November 8 - 12, 2017
Join Us For
IVY Machu Picchu | IVY Adventure Expedition, Peru
Explore the legendary Inca Trail with a great group of fellow members, one of the most famous treks in the world — winding through snow-capped peaks, massive granite precipices, and the dense Amazon tropical jungle basin. Get ready to make lifelong friends while making unforgettable memories as we explore the best of Peru’s mysterious archeological treasures — Machu Picchu, the mysterious "Lost City of the Incas" — while sleeping under the stars on ancient royal estates, hiking and riding to epic vantage points, and dancing the nights away to a fusion of African, Andean, and Spanish beats with new friends (and probably a few alpacas and llamas). We’ll also dine on fresh ceviche, learn how to make frothy Peruvian cocktail pisco sours from the pros, and enjoy epic dinners and celebrations in this mystical colonial town of Cusco. The trip will include the following – and you can scroll below to learn more!
Window into Inca Culture
- Meet IVY in Cusco this morning, and enjoy a welcome breakfast to refresh from the flight south.
- After freshening up, take a guided walking tour of Cusco, exploring the city that was once the bustling capital of the Inca empire. Wander ancient walls as you learn some of the history, mythology, and remaining mysteries of our new magical surroundings.
- Enjoy lunch al fresco in the eclectic market, and sip a hot coca tea — a local specialty to help us adjust to the altitude.
- Bellies full, we’ll see Coricancha, or the House of the Sun, once one of the most important temples of the Inca empire.
- Next, we’ll wander through the Temple of the Moon, an archaeological enigma. Two caves nestled in a craggy mountain, they contain alters, wildlife carvings, and carefully planned geometry that allows moonlight to penetrate the cave on meteorologically significant evenings. Revel in the beauty of this sacred site.
- Tonight, learn to craft refreshing pisco sours and delicious traditional Peruvian food over dinner. Salud!
- Cusco is famous for its nightlife, and for those who want to brave less sleep before the next day’s adventure, there will be an optional IVY after-party at one of the legendary clubs along the central square.
- Sleep soundly this evening at our Cusco hotel, dreaming of suns and moons and all the mysteries in between. We’ll have a big day of hiking once the sun rises!
Secrets of the Inca Trail
- After we fill up on breakfast, we’ll explore a path that has been traveled for centuries—part of the Inca Trail—and walk onwards and upwards on an epic hike to the emerald archaeological site of Huchuy Qosqo. Quechua for "Little Cuzco," the site was a royal estate for the eighth Inca ruler, replete with over 30 rooms meticulously carved and fitted together. These ruins overlook the Sacred Valleyand provide a breathtaking backdrop. (this is an uphill climb - but easier options will be available).
- Stop for a picnic lunch and swim at the serene Lake Piuray.
- Continue along the upper part of the Sacred Valley, with its remarkably well-preserved Inca ruins and stunning views, towards the town of Ollantaytambo nestled within endless mountain ranges freckled with glaciers.
- Watch the sunset over the stunning Salinas de Maras in the Sacred Valley. These geometric salt pools cascade down the hillside, and have been vital for harvesting salt by locals for centuries.
- Arrive at the Andean terraces outside of Ollantaytambo, and dine fireside while camping out under the stars.
- Tonight enjoy a brief night hike and discussion about Inca astronomy and astrology.
- Get toasty by the open flame as we enjoy after-dinner drinks under the star-studded sky and breath in the fresh night air with our fellow voyagers.
Journey through the Sacred Valley
- Wake up in this dreamlike setting, and enjoy a camp breakfast.
- Drive from Ollantaytambo to Pumamarca along the classic Inca Trail and admire the flora and fauna of the Choquechaca Valley, which for the past 500 years, has been a strategic and important home to some of the region’s most abundant native forests and colorful hummingbirds, as well as its indigenous cultures.
- Enjoy a picnic lunch before saddling up for a downhill bike ride together through the stunning Andes with the Peruvian wind in your hair.
- Finally, take a scenic train to Aguas Calientes, also known as “Machu Picchu Pueblo” — a 1.5 hour ride that rolls along the Urubamba River with stark canyon walls on both sides — and arrive to the valley at the foot of Machu Picchu.
- After taking in the sunset, celebrate with some traditional local cuisine in this isolated town, deep in a stone cliff gorge below the ruins, and meet with the locals who live here to hear about the stories and legends of the famed Inca site up the hill.
- Enjoy after-dinner drinks and soak up the sounds of nighttime in Peru at our IVY hotel as we prepare for an incredible, early morning ahead.
Temple of the Sun
- This morning, walk up an ancient staircase to the crown jewel of the Inca empire: witness the glory of sunrise at Machu Picchu with the lifelong friends of IVY.
- In small groups, take a private guided visit of the UNESCO World Heritage Site and once-lost stronghold with a local expert, with plenty time for self-exploration and pictures amidst the wondrous archaeological feats. Some may brave an optional hike to HuaynaPicchu for stunning views.
- After soaking in the beauty of the “old peak” as well as the hot springs, we’ll descend down from Aguas Calientes departing by train again to Cusco.
- Freshen up for our epic Peruvian celebration party tonight!
- Enjoy a farewell dinner and celebration, and engage in a Q&A with a top local archeologist who is helping to preserve the known Inca ruins. We’ll speak about the efforts and ongoing explorations to discover more of the hidden Incan world.
- Adjusted to the altitude, and having summited Machu Picchu, we’ll have our IVY Peruvian party tonight, dancing until the sun rises over the Sacred Valley.
- Enjoy a final hot brunch with pisco sours and coca tea.
- Enjoy some time to wander the San Pedro market for local artisanal goods and souvenirs.
- Here, we’ll head to the airport and say goodbye for our respective destinations, carrying incredible memories and friendships home.
Included in the Trip
We have an extremely limited number of available spaces, and we expect them to go very quickly. Pending availability, we’ll confirm your reservation and process your final payments on a rolling basis. The special IVY Adventure Expedition in Peru package will cost $99 non-refundable deposit + $2,099 final payment and cover all fixed costs including shared accommodations; all meals and drinks on the itinerary; all in-country transportation, and all proposed activities. This trip is non-refundable once your full payment is processed. If you’re interested in bringing a guest, please email us via email@example.com for more details!
Not Included in the Trip
- Flights to/from Cusco Airport. Airfare is an added cost due to the varied home destinations of travelers, although through our partners, we're able to offer select discounted airfare (pending availability). If you're interested, please reach out to the IVY Flight Concierge with your ideal dates, airports & departure times via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Any meals or drinks outside of IVY offerings
- Accommodations are double occupancy unless a private single supplement is requested at an additional cost of $429 (subject to availability).
- Optional travel insurance (enquire within).
We believe everyone has limitless potential. Our mission is to trigger transformative ideas and collaborations that lead to unprecedented human unity, progress, and fulfillment. Through meaningful experiences with inspiring individuals, IVY provides a lifelong supply of new friendships, opportunities, and ideas.
"Without inspiration the best powers of the mind remain dormant. There is a fuel in us which needs to be ignited with sparks." — Johann Gottfried von Herder