IVY - The World's First Social University
August 19 - August 21, 2017
Join Us For
IVY Celestial Getaway - Portland, Oregon
Join us for a once-in- a-lifetime trip to Portland, Oregon for The Great American Solar Eclipse as we witness nature's most breathtaking spectacle with a great group of fellow IVY members. Travelers from all over the world are gathering in Oregon to observe this galactic wonder — a total eclipse of the sun over North America, as daytime turns to deep dusk, the sun’s corona becomes visible to the naked eye, and the rhythms of the solar system are seen gloriously in motion. In addition to the eclipse, this trip will have a theme of Universal Wellness, featuring a 5k run, stretch and meditation sessions, a Cosmic Yoga class, inspiring mental wellness lectures, and lots of wholesome Oregan-ic meals!
Saturday, August 19: Fly into Portland, City of Roses
- Meet up with our incredible IVY group in Portland, Oregon as we prepare for an astronomical getaway like no other!
- Enjoy the Portland Saturday Market, the largest continuously operating outdoor arts and crafts market in the nation, as the IVY group gathers.
- Transfer together on our IVY shuttles into the “path of totality” where our tulip farm awaits, home for the weekend and 45 minutes south of the city.
- Your camping equipment will be ready for you upon arrival, or you can set up your own on our IVY campsite.
- Hop on a tractor and enjoy a farm tour and overview of our celestial headquarters for a weekend packed with countryside activities.
- Willamette Valley is ideal for wineries: the temperature is mild year-round, with cool, wet winters and warm, dry summers (also perfect for total solar eclipses!). This afternoon, learn about Oregon’s strong viticulture during a local wine tasting.
- After indulging in some local varietals, listen in on “The End of the World,” a lecture on the history of eclipses, and what they’ve meant to communities, countries, and astrologers over the centuries. This will be followed by the "End of Your Senses" where you will be wowed by magician Ferdinando Buscema, who is flying in from Italy just for this event!
- Tonight, enjoy a relaxed farm-to-table dinner, featuring local vegetables slow-cooked in giant tin milk cans, with a hefty side of live bluegrass music. Swing your partner!
- Take a little rest, or stretch your legs for a sunset hike and swim at the farm’s private lake.
- Freshen up before whiskey and guitar under the stars. Need we say more?
Sunday, August 20: Picnics and Physics
- We’re aligning mind, body, and soul this morning in a special guided sunrise yoga and meditation. Shine on!
- During breakfast, reflect on the absurd luck of our solar eclipse tomorrow with the mind-blowing lecture, "Synchronicity • History • Totality" by physicist and historian, Alexander Boxer. Dr. Boxer's book, A Scheme of Heaven: A Modern Look at the History — and Science — of Astrology, will be published by Norton in 2018.
- Try your own hand at hitting the bullseye during the IVY Archery Games.
- Nothing like a summertime picnic. This afternoon, sprawl out for a beer tasting and al fresco lunch with gorgeous views of Mount Hood and Mount St. Helens.
- This afternoon, the choice is yours: kayaking, canoeing, water yoga, or swimming at the private farm lake. Or all of the above!
- Settle in for an incredible keynote presentation on cosmology by renowned theoretical physicist, public intellectual, and founder of the Origins Institute, Dr. Lawrence Krauss.
- After ruminating on the astonishing facts and mind-churning questions of the universe for a while, we’ll take things down a notch with a good old fashioned pig roast (veggie and non-pork options always available) and live country music to get your toes tapping.
- Do a favor for your Instagram account and take photography lessons at sunset to prepare for the total solar eclipse tomorrow morning.
- Brush up on that stargazing tonight with an astronomy lesson by an expert, followed by s’mores by the fire.
- Tonight, we’re reminded that everything and everyone is made of starstuff at the Last Night on Earth Farm Party, as we revel in the magic of the universe with IVY. Cheers!
Monday, August 21: Chasing the Total Solar Eclipse
- Join for sunrise meditation.... or sleep in. Breakfast will be served at your leisure.
- This is the morning we’ve been preparing for, and one we’ll never have under these circumstances again. For the yogis on the trip, we invite you to join for Cosmic Yoga, an unrivaled stellar experience with an award-winning instructor, as the sky will go dark in a Total Solar Eclipse at the peak of class.
- After the awe-inspiring, knee-weakening, emotionally-overwhelming, breathtaking spectacle of aligned celestial bodies, take time to reflect on the heavenly weekend together.
- Head back to Portland, where you can enjoy the riverside city, or fly back to your home destination anytime after 2:00pm.
We have an extremely limited number of available spaces, and we expect them to go very quickly. Pending availability, we’ll confirm your reservation and process your final payments on a rolling basis. The special IVY Celestial Getaway in Portland package will cost $99 non-refundable deposit + $899 final payment and cover all fixed costs including shared accommodations in tents and camping site; all meals and drinks on the itinerary; all in-state transportation, and all proposed activities. This trip is non-refundable once your full payment is processed. If you’re interested in bringing a guest, please email us via email@example.com for more details!
Members are Responsible for:
- Flights to and from PDX Airport. Airfare is an added cost due to the varied home destinations of travelers, although through our partners, we're able to offer select discounted airfare (pending availability). If you're interested, please reach out to the IVY Flight Concierge with your ideal dates, airports & departure times via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Meals and drinks outside IVY offerings.
- Accommodations are double occupancy unless a private single supplement is requested at an additional cost of $99 (subject to availability).
- Optional travel insurance (inquire within).
We believe everyone has limitless potential. Our mission is to trigger transformative ideas and collaborations that lead to unprecedented human unity, progress, and fulfillment. Through meaningful experiences with inspiring individuals, IVY provides a lifelong supply of new friendships, opportunities, and ideas.
"Without inspiration the best powers of the mind remain dormant. There is a fuel in us which needs to be ignited with sparks." — Johann Gottfried von Herder