IVY: The World's First Social University
Mar 21 - 25, 2018
Join Us For
IVY x Iceland
Adventure Getaway in the Land of Fire and Ice
Immerse yourself in one of our planet's most beautiful destinations, famous for its breathtaking natural wonders, fascinating historical legends, and illustrious Reykjavík nightlife. This life-changing, four-day trip will allow you to explore one of world's most dramatic natural wonders like a local, while making lifelong friends. As part of our epic adventures, we’ll ride snowmobiles on the frozen glacial tongue that is Sólheimajökull, visit historic landmarks that have shaped Iceland’s way of life, hike up an ancient lava channel to a crater, bar crawl our way through the capital, and submerge in the world-famous Blue Lagoon. Throughout the journey, IVY members will learn about Iceland’s unique culture and history, explore its varied culinary delicacies, and experience the awe-inspiring geological wonders scattered throughout the Blue Land.
Day 1, Thursday
Halló og Velkomin!
- Arrive at Keflavik Airport early this morning. For early arrivals, our IVY group will gather at the coffee shop Joe & the Juice, in the arrivals area. There is free WiFi, and this is also a good time to utilize the Duty Free store (in arrivals), in case you want to buy some after-party supplies and snacks for your hotel room. Also be sure to take your swimsuit out of your suitcase for the Blue Lagoon!
- Our next stop is the beautiful, often steaming, lava-scarred Reykjanes peninsula. Cross the massive continental divide on Leif the Lucky’s Bridge!
- Next, we’ll head east to the steaming earths at Krísuvík and see the bubbling mudpots, steamy fumaroles, dazzling lakes and vents in the crust of the earth, which give Iceland its distinctive primeval landscape. Make sure to wear your good shoes and layered clothes!
- Warm up with some delicious homemade soup in a famous fisherman’s hangout in the Grindavík harbor.
- After lunch, beeline to the famed Blue Lagoon, a geothermal spa sure to soak away the jetlag. One of the world’s 25 wonders, you’ll enjoy the refreshing power of silica-rich waterfalls and luxurious sauna and steam rooms with a welcome cocktail in hand. For those of you who want a spa treatment, take the opportunity to treat yourself to a mud mask or in-water massage (you can book online in advance), and let the stress melt away. Showers are available so you can prepare for the day ahead.
- Transfer into Reykjavík, or “Steamy Cove”, named after its geothermal location, and check in to our funky Icelandic headquarters for the weekend.
- Feast tonight on some Icelandic delicacies at Matarkjallarinn (“Food Cellar”), consistently rated one of the best restaurants in Reykjavík.
- After-party near the hotel! If the weather looks good, we'll head out to the deck for Northern Lights viewing.
Day 2, Friday
Journey Around the Golden Circle
- Enjoy breakfast at the hotel. You’ll be saying ‘please pass the skyr’ in no time.
- Meet in the lobby to start our day’s adventure around some of the magnificent geological marvels Iceland has to offer—a journey known as the Golden Circle.
- Experience Iceland’s most important historical site, Þingvellir National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in the heart of the land, where the Vikings established the world’s first democratic parliament. The park is superbly situated inside an immense, fissure-ridden rift valley caused by the separating North American and Eurasian tectonic plates. See the gorgeous Silfra fissure firsthand.
- Wander lore-filled Haukadalur geothermal area, you’ll see where the one and only Geysir resides—the original geyser that all others are named for. See its more energetic cousin Strokkur, a geyser so powerful that it can reach 40 meters high!
- Warm up with an Icelandic buffet at the Glíma Restaurant.
- After lunch, we’ll take an icy adventure like no other. Ride a snowmobile on the frozen glacial tongue that is Landgjökull. It is an otherworldly scene—a rugged, raw and dynamic hub of ancient frozen water. Explore the spectacular surroundings of this breathtaking glacier at a not-so glacial pace.
- Feel the spray of magnificent Gullfoss thundering in front of you, understandably Iceland’s most famous waterfall. Glacial water plummets down three heavy steps to the canyon below as IVY watches from above.
- Our next stop is the Fontana geothermal spa and bakery. Watch the collection of freshly baked bread from the steaming hot ground by Laugarvatn Lake, and enjoy lunch before taking a rejuvenative dip in the thermal baths.
- Complete the circular journey as we head back in to Reykjavik.
- Meet in the lobby en route to a reflective dinner at a new Icelandic gastropub, The Sweet Pig.
- Tonight, have an adventure of a different kind as you djammið (party Iceland-style), joining Reykjavík’s notorious Bacchanalian pubcrawls. During a tour of the city’s best 7 bars, you’ll meet locals and cheers to their beloved Icelandic beers (and hear the tales of when it was illegal), sip local favorites like Cocoa puffs or ‘black death’ cocktails, and perhaps even prove your strength by trying Iceland’s national dish, Hákarl, followed a shot of brennivín. Dance the night away in VIP style and explore the hot nightlife with fellow IVY travelers. Skál!
Note: Bars and pubs are open until 3:00–6:00am, and many are near our hotel in the middle of the action. Have fun, and please make your way back home at your leisure safely!
Day 3, Saturday
A Day in the Icelandic Life
- Enjoy breakfast at the hotel.
- Meet IVY in the lobby. Please wear your hiking shoes and layers, and bring your swimsuit and towel!
- This morning we’ll take a two-hour hike up an ancient valley towards a stunning overlook. Learn how this dramatic volcanic landscape at Búrfellsgjá was caused with a little Geology 101.
- Stop by for a quick lunch at a local burger joint. Veggie options always available.
- Cool off from your hike this afternoon with an IVY pool soirée at one of the best geothermal pools in the capital.
- Enjoy a little free time this afternoon in the Laugavegur shopping district together to find that perfect memento and explore galleries at leisure. You may want to enjoy one of the many nearby coffeehouses for an afternoon pick-me-up, or perhaps visit one of the bookshops in town—Iceland publishes more books per capita than any place on the planet! Or perhaps you’ll stop by the famed Icelandic Phallological Museum, the only penile museum in the world, as featured in the award-winning documentary The Final Member and ranked the #1 weirdest museum in the world by TIME Magazine.
- Meet in the hotel lobby to depart for a magical evening.
- Take a private boat ride out to Viðey Island in the harbor, home to our farewell dinner exclusively for our IVY group tonight. Relax and dine at Viðeyjarstofa, the oldest stone house in Iceland with new IVY friends. Take a walk on the island at night, a great place to see Northern Lights, and stop by the Imagine Peace Tower, a project dedicated by Yoko Ono in the world’s most peaceful country, according to the World Peace Index.
- Ferry back to Reykjavík, and keep your 8 eyes peeled for the Northern Lights! The coach will drop you back off at the hotel for another night out on the town!
Note: While our guide will scout any aurora borealis viewing opportunities within striking distance of our group, we gently remind travelers that viewings are subject to weather patterns, as they require clear skies. If there is ever an opportunity to see the Northern Lights, we will reroute the tour to the viewing destination, as we understand that sightings are a top priority for the group.
Day 4, Sunday
Sjáumst à eftir! (See you later!)
- If you wake up hungry, grab a small bite at the hotel.
- Check out of the hotel and depart together.
- Take a guided tour of the most interesting parts of the city. Start with Tjörnin and the Old Quarter, then see Reykjavík Harbor, charming public squares and art galleries, the iconic Hallgrimskirkja church, and even Alþingi, the oldest Parliament in the world.
- Unwind from a bustling trip over IVY’s final brunch at the popular Geysir Bistro to properly celebrate the epic days spent together.
- Take a tour of Reykjavík Art Museum, where you’ll get an interesting glimpse into the nation’s creative psyche.
- Head to Reykjavík’s Keflavík Airport, and depart to home destinations. Earlier transfers arranged as necessary.
NOTE: Itineraries are subject to change, and due to the unpredictable winter weather in Iceland, the accessibility of certain sites may be impacted. Safety is our most important priority. This particular tour has been designed with specific events and individuals in mind, and schedules and availabilities may change without notice.
Payment, Terms & Conditions
|Final Payment||$2,150||Charged the Friday following your RSVP|
|Total Trip Cost||$2,400|
- All meals, drinks, and activities listed on the itinerary (unless otherwise specified)
- Shared accommodations; a limited number of single rooms are available for an additional cost of $349, charged immediately upon request
- All in-country transportation for included activities
- Travel Insurance
Members are Responsible For:
- Airfare to and from REK Airport. Please plan to arrive at REK by 7:00 am local time on Thursday, March 22 (we recommend taking an overnight flight on the 21st) and depart after 3:00 pm local time on Sunday, March 25
- Any meals, drinks, and activities NOT listed on the itinerary
IVY Travel Policies
IVY Booking Policies
- Your deposit must be paid immediately upon booking (refundable where canceled within 24 hours of booking)
- 100% of the total cost of the booking must be paid by the first Friday following your reservation
- All payments will be charged to the default card on your IVY account, any failed payments may result in your reservation being forfeited"
IVY Cancelation Policies
- If canceling within 24 hours of placing your booking you will receive a full refund of your deposit
- Cancellation after this period incurs cancellation fees
- All payments are non-transferable
Cancellation Fees (as a percentage of total trip cost)
If you cancel...
- Within the first 24 hours of RSVP – deposit is fully refundable
- From 24 hours after RSVP until the final payment is charged – deposit is non-refundable
- Thereafter, until 60 days before trip (01/21/18) – the cancellation fee is 40%
- Thereafter, until 30 days before trip (02/20/18) – the cancellation fee is 70%
- After 02/21/18 - the cancellation fee is 100% (ie. non-refundable)
*All room supplements are non-refundable once requested and paid*
|CANCELLATION FEE BREAKDOWN|
|If Cancellation Date is...||Within 24 Hrs of your RSVP||Up until the first Friday following your RSVP||Up until 60 days before trip departure|
|Up until 30 days before trip departure|
|Less than 30 days before trip departure|
|Trip Start Date 3/22/2018|
(% of total trip cost)
|Total Amount Paid to Date:||$250||$250||$2,400||$2,400||$2,400|
|*Cancellation fees are based on a % of total trip cost|
*All room supplements are non-refundable once requested and paid
Are Guests Allowed?
YES! We are able to accommodate a limited number of guests for this trip, if you are interested in bringing a guest please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the Accommodation Situation?
- Shared Occupancy: This trip includes double occupancy accommodations, you will be assigned a roommate of the same gender
- Requesting a Roommate: Please indicate on your reservation or email us at email@example.com if you would like to request a roommate
- Single Room Supplements: A limited number of single rooms are available for $349 upon request, supplements are charged immediately and are non-refundable and non-transferable
Why is Airfare not included?
Airfare is an added cost due to the varied home destinations of travelers. If you need help reserving a flight please reach out to the IVY Flight Concierge with your ideal dates, airports & departure times via firstname.lastname@example.org
We believe everyone has limitless potential. Our mission is to trigger transformative ideas and collaborations that lead to unprecedented human unity, progress, and fulfillment. Through meaningful experiences with inspiring individuals, IVY provides a lifelong supply of new friendships, opportunities, and ideas.
"Without inspiration the best powers of the mind remain dormant. There is a fuel in us which needs to be ignited with sparks." — Johann Gottfried von Herder