IVY - The World's First Social University
Join Us For
IVY x Galápagos | Evolutionary Expedition
IVY is following in the footsteps of history's greatest explorers and scientists in an Evolutionary Expedition to the Galápagos Islands! Known for their otherworldly and singular beauty, diverse range of impressive animal species, and for inspiring Darwin to discern one of life’s greatest secrets, the Galapagos offer an experience like nowhere else on the planet. Join us on this epic adventure as we hop aboard an IVY-only expedition yacht — complete with a full bar and top deck Jacuzzi — to explore the natural wonders and indescribable landscapes of the Galapagos Islands.
See you in Quito…
- ¡Bienvenidos! Upon arrival in Quito, we’ll explore the Old City and its dazzling array of churches, monasteries, and convents dating back to the early days of the colony. Together we will climb the spires of Basílica del Voto Nacional and take in the staggering views afforded by this Unesco World Heritage Site.
- After a traditional lunch on the town, we will take an afternoon hike up to El Panecillo. This 200-metre-high hill of volcanic-origin overlooks Quito, and at its peak we will find a stunning statue of the city’s Madonna.
- Every hour is Happy Hour in the trendy neighborhood of Mariscal, but at the base of El Panecillo, we will have our own IVY cocktail hour before returning to our hotel to freshen up for dinner.
- Our IVY Welcome Dinner will commence in the center of the action in the Mariscal neighborhood, and we’ll continue the night with more drinks & dancing in the area’s electric nightclubs.
- Setting an alarm on vacation is never fun, but we think you’ll forgive us. Besides, we’ve got an early flight to catch to Baltra Island before boarding our Private IVY Chartered Yacht to set “sail” for Isla Santa Cruz at the center of the Galápagos archipelago.
- Upon arrival, we’ll drop anchor and head to the Santa Cruz lava tunnels for a private tour of these amazing geological productions. Lava tunnels form when the outer crust of lava flows but the bulk of the lava continues to move along, leaving an empty tunnel — perfect for exploration — behind.
- Now that we’ve earned our first explorer’s badge, we’ll depart for the town of Puerto Ayora and enjoy our last encounter with civilization before busting out our adventurers hats for the journey ahead.
- After dinner, we’ll take advantage of our vessel’s bar while learning from our resident naturalists about the ecosystems we’re going to encounter over the coming days.
- Then, it’s time for our first IVY Party aboard the yacht!
- Our experienced crew will motor us to Mosquera Islet while we sleep. The beauty of a moving hotel is that no daylight needs be wasted on travel.
Sea Lions, Blue Footed Boobies, and Iguanas, Oh My!
- After breakfast, we’ll strap on our water gear for a wet landing at Mosquera Islet via our smaller watercraft! This shore excursion will allow us to take in the picturesque beach in search of native shore birds. An expert naturalist will help us identify the various species of wildlife and describe the local geography.
- We’ll return to our yacht for lunch. There will be time for a quick kayak paddle or swim.
- After the water fun, we’ll make our way to North Seymour Island, where we’ll encounter Blue Footed Boobies, Sea Lions, and Land Iguanas, and following our two-hour nature hike, will snorkel off the island’s sandy shore (stressful, we know).
- Following a fantastic dinner on the yacht, warm up your windpipes for an IVY evening of Karaoke! Then, sleep soundly as we make our way to our next adventure spot.
- Time for another wet landing, this time at Santa Fe Island. During this shore excursion, we’ll be on the lookout for huge sea lion colonies, cactus forests, and Galapagos hawks. The hike will take about 1.5 hours, and there will be an opportunity following for an hour of deep-water snorkeling to cool off after.
- We’ll have a short motor back to our yacht for a hearty lunch and swimming session.
- There’s so much more to see! We’ll head for South Plaza Island, known for its cactus forest and its yellow and red iguanas. We’ll hike through the island to explore its incredible scenery as we search for iguanas.
- After a day of hiking and shore excursions, we’ll relax over afternoon drinks while taking advantage of our jacuzzi. Following dinner, we’ll celebrate at an IVY Party before hitting the hay for tomorrow’s activities.
In the Footsteps of Darwin
- By this point in the journey you will have seen some pretty incredible things, but we’ll be outdoing ourselves today, kicking things off at Kicker Rock, one of the most spectacular landmarks in the Galápagos. Above sea level, you will see two volcanic rocks towering at 140 meters tall – the nesting site for hundreds of frigate birds and blue footed boobies. Below water, keep an eye out for orcas, hammerheads, spotted eagle rays, and an incredible array of brightly colored tropical fish. Enjoy a mimosa and soak the views in from the jacuzzi or the sundeck.
- Our next stop is the Cerro Colorado Tortoise Reserve on San Cristobal Island. At the Giant Tortoise breeding center, we will learn more about these magnificent creatures and will have the opportunity to interact with them.
- We’ll wander the town for some quick sightseeing and a drink before we head back to the San Cristobal Airport for the return flight to Guayaquil, known as the “Pearl of the Pacific”.
- That evening we'll enjoy a tantalizing dinner in the heart of this waterfront city, and we’ll continue the night with more drinks & dancing in the nightclubs and bars that line the narrow streets and spiraling stairs that lead to stunning Pacific beaches.
The Pearl of the Pacific
- After a group breakfast, we will spend the morning at the fascinating “Museo Presley Norton,” which houses artifacts associated with the original settlers of the Ecuadorian coast and the Valdivia Culture.
- Following the tour, we'll head to the colorful neighbourhood of Las Penas where we’ll enjoy lunch.
- We'll spend our afternoon on a guided visit to Santa Ana Hill along the "Diego Noboa” staircase. These 444 steps are banked by cafes, restaurants, craft shops, and galleries where we can explore and shop. At the top of Santa Ana we’ll find a lighthouse and church as we take in sweeping views of the city below.
- For our final night together, we’ll be going out with a bang! After a traditional dinner, we will enjoy a performance featuring “Sanjuanito” - the classic ecuadorian style of dancing. After watching the professionals, we’ll try it for ourselves!
- Once we’ve broken in our dancing shoes, we’ll head into Guayaquil for another fun night of drinks and dancing!
Payment Terms & Conditions
|Final Payment||$TBD||Charged the Friday following your RSVP|
|Total Trip Cost||$TBD|
- All meals, drinks, and activities listed on the itinerary (unless otherwise specified)
- Shared accommodations; a limited number of single rooms are available for an additional cost of $TBD, charged immediately upon request
- All in-country transportation for included activities
- Travel Insurance
Members are Responsible For:
- Airfare to Quito airport and from Guayaquil airport; Please plan to arrive at Quito by 12:00 pm on Saturday and depart from Guayaquil after 2:30 pm on Friday
- Any meals, drinks, and activities NOT listed on the itinerary
- Optional Wetsuit rentals
- Galapagos Immigration Fees (~$120)
- Transportation between Quito and Guayaquil airports and our hotels
IVY Travel Terms & Conditions
IVY Booking Policies
- Your deposit must be paid immediately upon booking (refundable where canceled within 24 hours of booking)
- 100% of the total cost of the booking must be paid by the first Friday following your reservation
- All payments will be charged to the default card on your IVY account, any failed payments may result in your reservation being forfeited
IVY Cancellation Policies
- If canceling within 24 hours of placing your booking you will receive a full refund of your deposit
- Cancellation after this period incurs cancellation fees
- All payments are non-transferable
Cancellation Fees (as a percentage of total trip cost)
If you cancel...
- Within the first 24 hours of RSVP – deposit is fully refundable
- From 24 hours after RSVP until the final payment is charged – deposit is non-refundable
- Thereafter, until 60 days before trip (06/12/18) – the cancellation fee is 40%
- Thereafter, until 30 days before trip (07/12/18) – the cancellation fee is 70%
- After 07/13/18 - the cancellation fee is 100% (ie. non-refundable)
*All room supplements are non-refundable once requested and paid*
|CANCELLATION FEE BREAKDOWN|
|If Cancellation Date is...||Within 24 Hrs of your RSVP||Up until the first Friday following your RSVP||Up until 60 days before trip departure|
|Up until 30 days before trip departure|
|Less than 30 days before trip departure|
|Trip Start Date 8/11/2018|
(% of total trip cost)
|Total Amount Paid to Date:||$TBD||$TBD||$TBD||$TBD||$TBD|
|*Cancellation fees are based on a % of total trip cost|
*All room supplements are non-refundable once requested and paid
Are Guests Allowed?
YES! We are able to accommodate a limited number of guests for this trip, if you are interested in bringing a guest please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the Accommodation Situation?
- Shared Occupancy: This trip includes double occupancy accommodations, you will be assigned a roommate of the same gender
- Requesting a Roommate: Please indicate on your reservation or email us at email@example.com if you would like to request a roommate
- Single Room Supplements: A limited number of single rooms are available upon request for an additional charge, supplements are charged immediately and are non-refundable and non-transferable
Why is Airfare not included?
Airfare is an added cost due to the varied home destinations of travelers. If you need help reserving a flight please reach out to the IVY Flight Concierge with your ideal dates, airports & departure times via firstname.lastname@example.org
We believe everyone has limitless potential. Our mission is to trigger transformative ideas and collaborations that lead to unprecedented human unity, progress, and fulfillment. Through meaningful experiences with inspiring individuals, IVY provides a lifelong supply of new friendships, opportunities, and ideas.
"Without inspiration the best powers of the mind remain dormant. There is a fuel in us which needs to be ignited with sparks." — Johann Gottfried von Herder