IVY: The World's First Social University
November 8-11, 2019
Join Us For
IVY x Cuba, Cultural Expedition
IVY’s most beloved excursion is back, and we couldn’t be more pleased to invite you to be a part of it. At once frozen in time and yet constantly evolving, Cuba is a dynamic and beautiful nation not to be missed, known for its vibrant artistry, stunning nightlife, and welcoming people. Join us on our journey to Havana and the surrounding area to discover a magical place filled with color, music, and smiles amid marvelous seaside architecture and old-world charm.
Day One, Friday
Arrive in Cuba
- 1:30pm Meet for check-in at Southwest Airline’s special Cuba check-in desk on Level 1 of Terminal 1 in Fort Lauderdale Airport. Nearby, there will be an IVY sign and area for our group to gather.
- Please make sure to arrive to the IVY check-in area no later than 2:00pm.
- 3:10pm Southwest flight WN3920 departs Fort Lauderdale for Havana’s José Martí International Airport.
- Arrive in Cuba! All travelers will be required to go through customs and a security check upon arrival, including the re-screening of all of your luggage. After customs, we will meet the IVY private guide and board our transport to begin our vacation!
- Guided stroll through Old Havana, highlighting the main historic plazas: the Plaza de la Catedral, Plaza de Armas, Plaza de San Francisco and Plaza Vieja, and Museo de la Revolución, stopping for formal encounters with local artists and shopkeepers.
- Private sunset cocktail hour and dinner on a rooftop in the heart of Old Havana.
- Dance and marvel at Fábrica de Arte Cubano, an eclectic warehouse of art, live music, and dancing and one of the most popular spots for a night out in Havana.
Day Two, Saturday
Immersion in Cuba’s Extraordinary Culture
- After breakfast, drive through Cuba’s scenic countryside to Las Terrazas, the pioneering eco-village that is nestled within a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
- Take a nature hike with Fidel Hernandez, bird expert and curator of the reserve, and host to foreign presidents, poets, and all those who wish to enjoy Cuba’s flora and fauna. Discuss the reserve and local community, learning about their role in environmental preservation in the Caribbean.
- Enjoy lunch en el campo with farm-fresh ingredients. Dine at the oldest dedicated vegetarian restaurant in Cuba, and discuss how restaurants function in a rationed food economy with the founder of the restaurant.
- Visit the home and studio of a local artist who takes the recycled paper from the community and generates stationary, cards, and art.
- Enjoy some fresh, locally-grown coffee, or partake in some mountaintop yoga, taking in stunning views of the lush green valley and the Caribbean sea in the distance.
- Return to Havana to freshen up for our final night on the town.
- Feel the thrill of a sunset cruise in an old classic American convertible—painstakingly restored and maintained—along the Revolution Square and around the old city and sea wall.
- Begin your final night in Cuba with a bang at El Cañonazo, the canon firing ceremony kept from colonial times at the Fortress of San Carlos de la Cabaña.
- For our final feast, we'll dine at a beautiful colonial mansion along the sea. For those who wish, just outside our restaurant there will be a life salsa band along the ocean, where you can practice your final dance moves on the island.
Day Three, Sunday
Arts and Adventure
- Depart for a private studio and home tour with the family of acclaimed Cuban muralist and ceramist José Fúster, described as the “Picasso of the Caribbean.”
- Head to the hilltop village of San Francisco de Paula for a private visit to Ernest Hemingway’s Finca Vigía—the eclectic house where he lived for 20 years—now a museum displaying his library, manuscripts and personal effects, and meet with those who have worked on the plantation for years.
- Enjoy an authentic lunch and beer tasting at a café and brewery. Then peruse Almacenes de Depósito San José, a giant arts and crafts market, and interact with artists.
- Return Hotel Panorama to freshen up for the evening.
- Cruise in authentic 1950s American convertibles during sunset down the Malecón, before ending up at the Christ statue that overlooks Havana at sunset.
- Begin your final night in Cuba with a bang at El Cañonazo, the canon firing ceremony kept from colonial times at the Fortress of San Carlos de la Cabaña, and discuss the military tradition with the soldiers.
- Enjoy a final farewell dinner with new IVY friends and reminisce on the weekend spent together.
- Say adios to Cuba properly—with an outdoor salsa party amidst gardens and dilapidated buildings to the beats of a live salsa band.
Day Four, Monday
Adiós Cuba – Be Back Soon!
- Enjoy a breakfast in at our hotel and say Adios to your kind and welcoming hosts.
- Afterwards, explore Callejón de Hamel, a narrow two-block alleyway between Aramburu and Hospital Streets. Over the years, it has become a shrine to Afro-Cuban religions through the art created by Salvador González. The buildings are lined with brightly colored paintings, murals, sculptures and objects, depicting rituals and deities. Learn about Santería from local practitioners, and the complicated layering and transference between Catholicism and African traditions that is found throughout the island.
- Head to the airport for our flights homeward.
Payment Terms & Conditions
|Final Payment||$2,279||Charged the Friday following your RSVP|
|Total Trip Cost||$2,299|
Included in the Trip
- Roundtrip airfare from Ft Lauderdale to Cuba
- All meals, drinks, and activities listed on the itinerary (unless otherwise specified)
- Shared accommodations; a limited number of single rooms are available for an additional cost of $399, charged immediately upon request
- All in-country transportation for included activities
Members are Responsible For:
- Airfare to and from FLL airport; Please plan to arrive at FLL by 1:30 pm on November 8 and depart after 6:30 pm on November 11
- Any meals, drinks, and activities NOT listed on the itinerary
PLEASE NOTE: NO CHECKED BAGS!
To be specific — checked luggage is not necessary nor allowed for this weekend. Don’t let that worry you—let it be liberating! If it doesn’t fit in a carry-on bag, you don’t need it for this trip. The main reason we prohibit checked bags is that it slows the arrival process in Cuba by upwards of an hour and items have been known to get stolen out of check bags at the airport. You are expected to carry your own luggage, although you won’t be required to walk long distances with it. IVY is not responsible for any lost or delayed baggage and cannot hold up the bus for delayed passengers. If you need to take separate transportation because of a delay it will be on your own dime.
IVY Travel Terms & Conditions
IVY Booking Policies
- a $20 deposit must be paid immediately upon booking (refundable where canceled within 24 hours of booking)
- 100% of the total cost of the booking must be paid by the first Friday following your reservation
- All payments will be charged to the default card on your IVY account, any failed payments may result in your reservation being forfeited
IVY Cancellation Policies
- If canceling within 24 hours of placing your booking you will receive a full refund of the deposit
- Cancellation after this period incurs cancellation fees
- All payments are non-transferable
Cancellation Fees (as a percentage of total trip cost)
If you cancel...
- Within the first 24 hours of RSVP – deposit is fully refundable
- From 24 hours after RSVP until the final payment is charged – Deposit is non-refundable
- Thereafter, until 60 days before trip (09/8/19) – the cancellation fee is 40%
- Thereafter, until 30 days before trip (10/8/19) – the cancellation fee is 70%
- After 10/8/19 - the cancellation fee is 100% (ie. non-refundable)
All room supplements are non-refundable once requested and paid
|CANCELLATION FEE BREAKDOWN|
|If Cancellation Date is...||Within 24 Hrs of your RSVP||Up until the first Friday following your RSVP||Up until 60 days before trip departure|
|Up until 30 days before trip departure|
|Less than 30 days before trip departure|
|Trip Start Date 11/8/2019|
(% of total trip cost)
|Total Amount Paid to Date:||$20||$20||$2,299||$2,299||$2,299|
|*Cancellation fees are based on a % of total trip cost|
*All room supplements are non-refundable once requested and paid
Are Guests Allowed?
YES! We are able to accommodate a limited number of guests for this trip, if you are interested in bringing a guest please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the Accommodation Situation?
Shared Occupancy: This trip includes double occupancy accommodations, you will be assigned a roommate of the same gender
Requesting a Roommate: Please indicate on your reservation or email us at email@example.com if you would like to request a roommate
Single Room Supplements: A limited number of single rooms are available upon request for an additional charge, supplements are charged immediately and are non-refundable and non-transferable
Why is Airfare not included?
Airfare is an added cost due to the varied home destinations of travelers.
We believe everyone has limitless potential. Our mission is to trigger transformative ideas and collaborations that lead to unprecedented human unity, progress, and fulfillment. Through meaningful experiences with inspiring individuals, IVY provides a lifelong supply of new friendships, opportunities, and ideas.
"Without inspiration the best powers of the mind remain dormant. There is a fuel in us which needs to be ignited with sparks." — Johann Gottfried von Herder