IVY: The World's First Social University
May 3 - 6, 2018
Join Us For
IVY x Cuba, Cultural Expedition
IVY’s most beloved excursion is back, and we couldn’t be more pleased to invite you to be a part of it. At once frozen in time and yet constantly evolving, Cuba is a dynamic and beautiful nation not to be missed, known for its vibrant artistry, stunning nightlife, and welcoming people. Join us on our journey to Havana and the surrounding area to discover a magical place filled with color, music, and smiles amid marvelous seaside architecture and old-world charm.
Day One, Thursday
Arrive in Cuba
- 10:30am Meet for check-in at Southwest Airline’s special Cuba check-in desk on Level 1 of Terminal 1 in Fort Lauderdale Airport. Nearby, there will be an IVY sign and area for our group to gather.
- By 11:00am Please make sure to arrive to the IVY check-in area no later than 11:00am. If you are running late and it gets past this time, please call or text Carl at +1 (321) 704-4248 to give him a status update on your ETA.
- 12:25pm Southwest flight WN3922 departs Fort Lauderdale for Havana’s José Martí International Airport.
- 1:30pm Arrive in Cuba! All travelers will be required to go through customs and a security check upon arrival, including the re-screening of all of your luggage. After customs, we will meet the IVY private guide and board our transport towards our home for the long weekend, La Pradera.
- 4:00pm Guided stroll through Old Havana, highlighting the main historic plazas: the Plaza de la Catedral, Plaza de Armas, Plaza de San Francisco and Plaza Vieja, and Museo de la Revolución, stopping for formal encounters with local artists and shopkeepers.
- 7:00pm Private sunset cocktail hour and dinner on a rooftop in the heart of Old Havana.
- Dance and marvel at Fábrica de Arte Cubano, an eclectic warehouse of art, live music, and dancing and one of the most popular spots for a night out in Havana.
Day Two, Friday
Immersion in Cuba’s Extraordinary Culture
- 8am Breakfast
- 9:30am Drive through Cuba’s scenic countryside to Las Terrazas, the pioneering eco-village that is now a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve.
- 10:30am Take your first dip into the favorite swimming lake of the community. Discuss the reserve and try local coffee specialties.
- 12pm Visit the home and studio of a local artist who takes the recycled paper from the community and generates stationary, cards, and art.
- 12:30pm Enjoy lunch en el campo with farm-fresh local ingredients, and have a discussion on food in Cuba.
- 2:30pm Swim with locals in the clean, cascading waters that fall into a series of pools at the Baños del San Juan.
- 4:00pm Visit one of the longest surviving coffee plantations in Cuba and have the opportunity to talk with local farmers.
- 5:00pm Return to Havana to freshen up at La Pradera.
- 8:00pm Dinner at a favorite Cuban paladar with delicious local dishes.
- 11:00pm Dance the night away at Sarao, one of the hottest current clubs in Cuba, complete with steamy salsa and international hits.
Day Three, Saturday
Arts and Adventure
- 8:30am Breakfast
- 9:30am Depart for a private studio and home tour with the family of acclaimed Cuban muralist and ceramist José Fúster, described as the “Picasso of the Caribbean.”
- 11:00am Drive to the hilltop village of San Francisco de Paula for a private visit and cultural discussion at Ernest Hemingway’s Finca Vigía—the eclectic house where he lived for 20 years—now a museum displaying his library, manuscripts and personal effects.
- 1:00pm Enjoy an authentic lunch and beer tasting at a café and brewery. Then peruse Almacenes de Depósito San José, a giant arts and crafts market, and interact with artists.
- 5:00pm Return La Pradera to freshen up for the evening.
- 7:00pm Cruise in authentic 1950s American convertibles during sunset down the Malecón, before ending up at the Christ statue that overlooks Havana at sunset.
- 9:00pm Begin your final night in Cuba with a bang at El Cañonazo, the canon firing ceremony kept from colonial times at the Fortress of San Carlos de la Cabaña, and discuss the military tradition with the soldiers.
- 9:30pm Enjoy a final farewell dinner with new IVY friends and reminisce on the weekend
- 11:30pm Say adios to Cuba properly—with an outdoor salsa party amidst gardens and dilapidated buildings to the beats of a live salsa band.
Day Four, Sunday
Adiós Cuba – Be Back Soon!
- 9:00am Breakfast
- 10:00am Explore Callejón de Hamel, a narrow two-block long alleyway in Centro Habana, which over the years has become a shrine to Afro-Cuban religions. Learn about Santeria from local practitioners.
- 12:00pm Head to José Martí Airport for check-in, and for any last-minute cigar or rum purchases at the airport.
- 2:30am Depart Havana on Southwest flight WN3923 to Fort Lauderdale.
- 3:30pm Arrive at Fort Lauderdale- Hollywood International Airport, and connect to home destinations.
Payment Terms & Conditions
|Final Payment||$2,150||Charged the Friday following your RSVP|
|Total Trip Cost||$2,400|
- Round trip airfare from Ft Lauderdale to Cuba
- All meals, drinks, and activities listed on the itinerary (unless otherwise specified)
- Shared accommodations; a limited number of single rooms are available for an additional cost of $199, charged immediately upon request
- All in-country transportation for included activities
- Travel Insurance
Members are Responsible For:
- Airfare to and from FLL airport; Please plan to arrive at FLL by 11:00 am on the first day and depart after 6:00 pm on the last day of the trip
- Any meals, drinks, and activities NOT listed on the itinerary
IVY Travel Terms & Conditions
IVY Booking Policies
10% of the total cost of the booking must be paid immediately upon booking (refundable where canceled within 24 hours of booking)
100% of the total cost of the booking must be paid by the first Friday following your reservation
All payments will be charged to the default card on your IVY account, any failed payments may result in your reservation being forfeited
IVY Cancellation Policies
- If canceling within 24 hours of placing your booking you will receive a full refund of the 10% deposit
- Cancellation after this period incurs cancellation fees
- All payments are non-transferable
Cancellation Fees (as a percentage of total trip cost)
If you cancel...
- Within the first 24 hours of RSVP – deposit is fully refundable
- From 24 hours after RSVP until the final payment is charged – 10% (you will lose your deposit)
- Thereafter, until 60 days before trip (03/04/18) – the cancellation fee is 40%
- Thereafter, until 30 days before trip (04/03/18) – the cancellation fee is 70%
- After 04/04/18 - the cancellation fee is 100% (ie. non-refundable)
*All room supplements are non-refundable once requested and paid*
|CANCELLATION FEE BREAKDOWN|
|If Cancellation Date is...||Within 24 Hrs of your RSVP||Up until the first Friday following your RSVP||Up until 60 days before trip departure|
|Up until 30 days before trip departure|
|Less than 30 days before trip departure|
|Trip Start Date 5/3/2018|
(% of total trip cost)
|Total Amount Paid to Date:||$250||$250||$2,400||$2,400||$2,400|
|*Cancellation fees are based on a % of total trip cost|
*All room supplements are non-refundable once requested and paid
Are Guests Allowed?
YES! We are able to accommodate a limited number of guests for this trip. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in bringing a guest and we will be happy to expedite the membership process to get your guest on the list for the trip
What is the Accommodation Situation?
Shared Occupancy: This trip includes double occupancy accommodations, you will be assigned a roommate of the same gender
Requesting a Roommate: Please indicate on your reservation or email us at email@example.com if you would like to request a roommate
Single Room Supplements: A limited number of single rooms are available upon request, supplements are charged immediately and are non-refundable and non-transferable
Why is Airfare not included?
Airfare is an added cost due to the varied home destinations of travelers. If you need help reserving a flight please reach out to the IVY Flight Concierge with your ideal dates, airports & departure times via firstname.lastname@example.org
We believe everyone has limitless potential. Our mission is to trigger transformative ideas and collaborations that lead to unprecedented human unity, progress, and fulfillment. Through meaningful experiences with inspiring individuals, IVY provides a lifelong supply of new friendships, opportunities, and ideas.
"Without inspiration the best powers of the mind remain dormant. There is a fuel in us which needs to be ignited with sparks." — Johann Gottfried von Herder