IVY - The World's First Social University
12/29/18 - 1/2/19
Join Us For
IVY x Bali Welcoming 2019 in Paradise
Eat, Pray, Love your way into the new year—IVY-style—at our paradise hideaway in Bali. Experience the surf, sand, and spirituality of this magnificent gem of the Indonesian archipelago. Grab your sarongs—the traditional dress of the island—and your swimsuits! We’ll cleanse our spirits, ask for good fortune in the new year, and party our way out of 2018 and into 2019.
With exclusive opportunities only for IVY members and guests, our community will get to know the monstrously beautiful Bali like no one else can. We will bounce from beach to rice paddy, from private yoga overlooking the steamy jungle to exclusive dinner with the Balinese Royal family, from snorkel to temple. Through millennia of trade and cross-cultural influence Bali has maintained a unique culture and outlook. Learn why this tropical atoll has been dubbed the jewel of the South Pacific for centuries.
December 29, 2018
Welcome to the Island of the Gods
- Arrive at Bali Ngurah Rai International Airport, also known as Denpasar International Airport, in the early afternoon. You’ll be greeted by a colossal sculpture of flying knights and glaring garudas depicting scenes from the Hindu epic the Mahabharata. We’ll be met by our guide and your IVY hosts to ring in the new year with the blessing of the gods.
- After you grab your bags, we’ll head to the beach without delay. You’ll sink your toes in the white sand of this former fishing village and enjoy welcome cocktails as the sun sets at our seaside hotel in Sanur, Bali for first night.
- Enjoy your first taste of Balinese cuisine at our welcome dinner of be siap sambal matah— a traditional shredded chicken with spices— and a variety of sates (vegetarian options are always available).
- For those who are interested, we’ll head to one of Sanur’s most popular beach bars with a live band every night, dancing under the stars and enjoying some local Balinese brews. Bersulang!
December 30, 2018
Parties and Princes
- Have your first breakfast overlooking the beautiful Bali Sea. Listen to the waves crash against the shore and breathe the scents of salt air and spice, you’ll begin to forget any stresses of 2018 one breath at a time.
- After checking out from our beachside resort, we’ll transport to Ubud and settle into your lodging overlooking beautiful rice paddies. Ubud is a thriving village in central Bali and is considered the cultural capital of this tiny island. It is famous as an arts hub, and much of the village and nearby areas consist of artists’ workshops and galleries. Here you find remarkable architecture and other sites—historical museums, famous wood carvers and artists, an array of interesting cafes, local foods, and non-stop ceremonies. The word Ubud comes from the Balinese word for medicine, so it is here that people flock for healing energies, good spirits, meditation, yoga, artistry, and indigenous knowledge.
- You will be joined at our hotel by an expert yogi to align your chakras with some late morning yoga before enjoying a catered lunch.
- After lunch, head to a local Banjar for a workshop. We invite teachers of traditional Balinese gamelan music, Legong dance, woodcarving, and offering making to give IVY members and intimate and exclusive introduction to each of these disciplines. You’ll quickly learn that the intricate finger and eye movements of Legong dance only look easy and that keeping a steady hand while woodcarving is no simple feat!
- Put on your special Balinese outfit, a gift from our Balinese hosts, and attend an exclusive Royal Palace tour & dinner with the Prince of the Royal Family at the Peliatan Palace. Over dinner, you’ll have the opportunity to discuss Bali’s traditional culture as well as modern-day challenges.
- After our royal dinner, those interested in Ubud’s nightlife will head into town to enjoy a few drinks. We’ll party like the princes and princesses we are through the night.
December 31, 2018
Eco-Ride into the New Year
- Wake up in the jungle splendor of Ubud, listen to the calls of the birds and feel the warm air of this paradise. Enjoy your locally grown coffee and relax as you rise.
- We’ll take a short drive after you’ve filled up on a combination of western and eastern delights and head off on our mountain bikes through the heartland of Bali, travelling downhill on secret back roads, through minor villages—we’ll be alone save for our local Balinese neighbors.
- We will ride through lush forested areas, plantations full of Balinese staples, through villages— seemingly timeless—and take in lush rice paddy panoramas. Along the road you’ll be greeted by throngs of adorable Balinese children calling out “hellos” and wanting high- fives.
- We’ll have a picnic lunch surrounded by the ferns and palms of the jungle.
- After lunch we’ll return to the hotel to freshen up and refocus our energy at an afternoon yoga class in our hotel. You’ll be calm and centered to watch the end of the year pass by that evening.
- Put on your best-dressed casual beachwear because we’re heading to a spectacular New Year’s Eve Dinner at one of the best restaurants in town, complete with the Chef’s tasting and plenty of champagne.
- Then we have exclusive access to the best New Year’s party in Ubud! You’ll be able to ring in at midnight a full 15 hours before our friends freezing their asses in Times Square waiting for a ball to drop. We’re going to the best ticket in Ubud, with live music, electrifying fireworks and a thrilling fire performance.
January 1, 2019
Spiritual Cleansing for 2019
- The first day of the year will be something quite special. Journey to one of the most gorgeous award-winning 5-star hotels in Bali, designed personally by one of the princes of Ubud—every component was designed as part of a spiritual and sacred journey. Built on the jungle cliffs with more than 97 private villas each having their own infinity pool, the property looks out on majestic green mountains that will take your breath away. IVY has a special relationship with the royal family who have arranged for our group to visit the property, enter the sacred pools, and swim in its unbelievable half-mile meandering pool, built on the edges of the sacred Ayung River. We have the privilege to practice yoga by the river in a stunning pavilion.
- You have the afternoon free—may we suggest wandering the many interesting shops specializing in batik, jewelry, and local handicrafts. If you’d prefer a less hectic afternoon, we’re happy to arrange spa treatments at the hotel or you can chill with a cocktail in hand in the hotel’s pool.
- This evening we will participate in an ancient Balinese purification ceremony at a priest’s home. The Agni Hotra is an ancient fire ceremony from the sacred Vedic text—agni meaning fire and hotra meaning healing. The practice of Agni Hotra is done with the purpose to energizing and purifying the environment and healing the participant. You will be invited to join the priest to put offerings into the fire to invoke blessings of health and abundance. What better way to begin a fresh twelve months?
- The rest of the evening is your own to reflect on the beauty of the ceremony or hit the town.
January 2, 2019
Titiang Lungsur Mapamit Dumun, Bali!
- With your spirit aligned and your body set with a healthy breakfast of exotic fruits and local specialties at your hotel, you’ll return home feeling the royal peace of the Island of Gods flow through you for coming year.
January 2, 2019
Bali Hai! Here am I, Your Special Island.
- We will enjoy a breakfast of dragon fruit, mango and coconut as well as other local specialties.
- As the other group heads to the airport and back home, we’ll delve deeper into Balinese culture and beauty as we head to Pemuteran, a small fishing village on the northern coast of West Bali. Sandwiched between two of the greats, it lies in the shadow of a gorgeous mountainous region to the south and to the north is Menjangan Island, considered some of the best diving in the world.
- Pemuteran has the largest area of shallow coral reefs in Bali and is easily accessible, free of strong currents and waves, making it perfect for swimming, snorkeling and diving.
- All along the way to the coastal village you’ll be immersed in the magnificence of Bali. Each glance will reveal tiered landscapes and hidden temples, you’ll see beautiful and exotic foliage.
- We’ll visit the historical Ulun Danu Temple, built in 1633 and recognized worldwide for its location at the shore of Lake Beratan. This terraced and thatched masterpiece will leave you in awe of its iconic beauty. The temple is in honor of the primordial river goddess, Danu—the mother of everything from the Danube to the name Dana.
- Our guides will take us to a local spot for lunch on the way. You’ll enjoy nasi ayam and nasi campur Bali’s answer to chicken rice it includes mixed vegetables and a sambal mash that’s to die for.
- We’ll check in at our shoreline accommodations in the afternoon just in time to witness a spectacular sunset on the beach.
- Evening and dinner at your leisure. Might we suggest a grabbing a Bali Hai cocktail at Wayang Cocktail Bar in town?
January 3, 2019
Clownfish and Moonlight
- Get ready this morning for a full-day adventure! We will boat to Menjangan Island off the western tip of Bali for some of the best snorkeling or diving in the region—some would even say the world. Named after a local species of deer, Menjangan Island is part of West Bali National Park.
- Enjoy the whole day snorkeling or just relaxing at this unique beach area. If you choose to snorkel, you may find your own Nemo as you play with the clown fish, rub elbows with anemone, and search the gorgonian seafans for pygmy seahorses—if you seek your own little (sea) pony.
- Munch on fruit, and local specialties for lunch on the beach and boat.
- We’ll head back to our hotel to freshen up in the late afternoon before we come together for a special dinner at a local Balinese family compound. In the glow of the moonlight we’ll take a special night trip to Melanting Temple, Bali’s prosperity temple. Most Balinese travel here at least once a year for blessings and good luck with their businesses and field crops. We’ll all be bless with prosperity in 2019 and magical memories after this trip.
January 4, 2019
Coral and Coffee
- After our coffee and breakfast at the hotel, we’ll spend the morning learning about and snorkeling over at the Coral Restoration Project. The project has planted around 80 artificial coral reef structures which have restored the devastated coral reefs and fisheries of Pemuteran Bay. In 2012, this project was awarded the Equator Prize by the United Nations Development Programme.
- Snorkeling, swimming and spa treatments available during your morning of enjoying the beach.
- After a final beach lunch, we’ll travel through central Bali to the quiet village of Munduk, situated high above sea level. It’s known for its breathtaking views, as well as cloves and coffee plantations. We’ll stop along the way to taking the intoxicating tastes and smells of this spice island.
- In the afternoon, arrive at our accommodations in Mengwi, surrounded by rice fields, for the last night in Bali. Here you’ll learn the history of this ancient capital of the traditional Balinese royals as you tour the town with our local anthropologist.
- This evening we’ll come together for a special final Balinese-style dinner. Surrounded by your friend and IVY hosts this will be a dinner for the ages.
- After dinner we’ll grab our last shots of arak and brem— white and red rice wine, respectively— and toast to the new selves we’re bound to become in 2019. After this metamorphic journey through the volcanic landscape of the isle of Bali.
January 5, 2019
Titiang Lungsur Mapamit Dumun, Bali!
- Morning free to enjoy the sights and sounds of Mengwi.
- After a final breakfast we’ll say our goodbyes, to friends old and new. The politest way to say goodbye in Balinese is, “Titiang Lungsur Mapamit Dumun” which translates to simply, “Well, I have to go now.” You’ll be longing to stay here forever in this magical island after our transformative New Year.
Payment Terms & Conditions
|Final Payment||$2,649||Charged the Friday following your RSVP|
|Total Trip Cost||$2,899|
CORE + EXTENSION
|Final Payment||$3,849||Charged the Friday following your RSVP|
|Total Trip Cost||$4,099|
- All guides and in-country transportation, including shuttle to and from the airport
- All meals, drinks, and activities on the itinerary (unless otherwise specified)
- Shared accommodations; a limited number of single rooms are available for an additional cost of $299, charged immediately upon request
- Travel Insurance
Members are Responsible For:
- Roundtrip airfare from your hometown to Bali Ngurah Rai International Airport. Please plan to arrive at Bali Ngurah Rai International Airport by 3:00 pm local time on Saturday, December 29 and depart after 12:00 pm local time on Tuesday, January 02
- Any meals, drinks, and activities outside of IVY offerings
*Accommodations are double occupancy unless a private single supplement is requested at an additional cost*
IVY Travel Policies
IVY Booking Policies
- Your deposit must be paid immediately upon booking (refundable where canceled within 24 hours of booking)
- 100% of the total cost of the booking must be paid by the first Friday following your reservation
- All payments will be charged to the default card on your IVY account, any failed payments may result in your reservation being forfeited
IVY Cancellation Policies
- If canceling within 24 hours of placing your booking you will receive a full refund of your deposit
- Cancellation after this period incurs cancellation fees
- All payments are non-transferable
Cancellation Fees (as a percentage of total trip cost)
If you cancel...
- Within the first 24 hours of RSVP – deposit is fully refundable
- From 24 hours after RSVP until the final payment is charged – deposit is non-refundable
- Thereafter, until 60 days before trip – the cancellation fee is 40%
- Thereafter, until 30 days before trip – the cancellation fee is 70%
- Thereafter, until trip departure - the cancellation fee is 100% (ie. non-refundable)
*All room supplements are non-refundable once requested and paid*
|CANCELLATION FEE BREAKDOWN|
|If Cancellation Date is...||Within 24 Hrs of your RSVP||Up until the first Friday following your RSVP||Up until 60 days before trip departure|
|Up until 30 days before trip departure|
|Less than 30 days before trip departure|
|Trip Start Date 12/29/2018|
(% of total trip cost)
|Total Amount Paid to Date:||$250||$250||$2,889||$2,889||$2,889|
|*Cancellation fees are based on a % of total trip cost|
*All room supplements are non-refundable once requested and paid
Are Guests Allowed?
YES! We are able to accommodate a limited number of guests for this trip. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in bringing a guest and we will be happy to expedite the membership process to get your guest on the list for the trip
What is the Accommodation Situation?
- Shared Occupancy: This trip includes double occupancy accommodations, you will be assigned a roommate of the same gender
- Requesting a Roommate: Please indicate on your reservation or email us at email@example.com if you would like to request a roommate
- Single Room Supplements: A limited number of single rooms are available for $299 upon request for the CORE program, and $199 for the extension, supplements are charged immediately and are non-refundable and non-transferable
Why is Airfare not included?
Airfare is an added cost due to the varied home destinations of travelers. If you need help reserving a flight please reach out to the IVY Flight Concierge with your ideal dates, airports & departure times via firstname.lastname@example.org
When should I arrive by?
Please plan to arrive at Bali Ngurah Rai International Airport by 3:00 pm local time on Saturday, December 29 and depart after 12:00 pm local time on Tuesday, January 2 or Friday, January 5 if you are taking the extension.
We believe everyone has limitless potential. Our mission is to trigger transformative ideas and collaborations that lead to unprecedented human unity, progress, and fulfillment. Through meaningful experiences with inspiring individuals, IVY provides a lifelong supply of new friendships, opportunities, and ideas.
"Without inspiration the best powers of the mind remain dormant. There is a fuel in us which needs to be ignited with sparks." — Johann Gottfried von Herder